Sunday, May 22, 2011

17 weeks-Turning Turnip Green





There is a scene in the Bourne Identity, where Jason Bourne is explaining to Marie about the weird senses he is picking up in the diner. (I looked it up.)


Jason Bourne: I come in here, and the first thing I'm doing is I'm catching the sightlines and looking for an exit. 
Marie: I see the exit sign, too, I'm not worried. I mean, you were shot. People do all kinds of weird and amazing stuff when they are scared. 
Jason Bourne: I can tell you the license plate numbers of all six cars outside. I can tell you that our waitress is left-handed and the guy sitting up at the counter weighs two hundred fifteen pounds and knows how to handle himself. I know the best place to look for a gun is the cab of the gray truck outside, and at this altitude, I can run flat out for a half mile before my hands start shaking. Now why would I know that? 


I can relate...


Christen: I walk into any room, and the first thing I do is check for the exit. I can tell how many trashcans are in the room that I could throw up in a moment's notice. I can tell you which people around me look like they would be helpful if I were to get sick and which ones could jump out of the way the fastest. I know the best person to ask for a ginger ale, and I can walk 3 flights of stairs before my nausea starts up again. Now why would I know that?






I am 17 and 1/2 weeks pregnant (the baby is the size of a turnip...not very glamorous), and well into my second trimester. I want to say that I feel great and that my second trimester is full of energy and no more sickness. That is still not the case. Everything that my pregnancy app is telling me i should be feeling right now isn't happening. 


This morning, as I was pulling into church, I noticed the banana I was eating tasted a little strange. I parked, got out of my car and puked on the ground next to my car. I walked about 10 more feet and puked in a bush. I believe the geese that inhabit our church property were laughing at me 2 bushes over. Thankfully, I don't THINK anyone saw me. 


I am continually impressed with the pregnant women I hear about who can throw up and bounce right back into whatever they are doing. I'm not there yet. I require a make up change and a 2 hour nap.


On another note, I went to the doctor last week for a check up. I got to hear the heartbeat. It was solid and steady. On June 3, Richard and I will find out the sex of the baby. I can't wait to see the baby again.


I have also bought a few baby things recently, a high chair and a bouncy seat at a yard sale, and a really cute sailor dress at the thrift store. I don't know if I am having a girl, but the dress was so precious and only $3. I couldn't pass that up.


Even with all the sickness, I am loving being pregnant. I love planning and preparing for this baby, and I am praying that I can be the kind of mother that God wants me to be. 



1 comment:

  1. Hey Christen, congrats! And don't worry, you're not alone with the morning sickness lasting past 12 weeks. I was sick well into the 2nd trimester, and then one day it was so bad I literally threw up every time I moved, and I stayed in bed all day. But then the next day it was all gone! So there is hope! And a healthy baby is worth it in the end :-)
    Myra (Staley)

    ReplyDelete