Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cupcakes and Door Smut

So here begins my new journey. I wanted to send this instead of a newsletter because first of all it means I'm not spamming your inbox with info everyday, and two, because that seems too much like a missionary.

Plus, I have always wanted to blog. Never knew quite what to write about. My mentor and good friend Linda ALWAYS encourages me to write, but I have too many excuses to start. So hopefully this helps motivate me to keep it up every day.

First blog update: I am 8 weeks. That's exciting. My little one is the size of a kidney bean. Next week he/ she will be the size of a grape. I'm very Baptist as you know. I grew up Baptist and I currently work at a Baptist church. Therefore my idea of the size of a kidney bean maybe larger than your version of a kidney bean. But it helps me imagine.

Two weeks ago we had our very first ultra sound where we heard the heartbeat. That is just AMAZING. It's amazing that we have technology that can do that; it's amazing that the technology is so that it can detect a heartbeat of something (or someone rather) so small; it's amazing that we could hear the heartbeat of something inside me. This is all truly miraculous.

I have not yet experienced morning sickness to a full degree yet. Nausea is there, but it is easily settled when I eat. Therefore I may end up being the size of a HOUSE when this whole thing is said and done. I don't mind having a reason to pig out all the time, but I want to be careful so as to eat healthy for the both of us...and because I don't want to be obese...ever! You see, I don't crave pickles (which my friend informed me are no points in Weight Watchers). I don't crave strange combination of food...just the thought of strange combos make me queasy. I crave CAKE! Everyday. All day. Hopefully my cravings will morph, but cake is the drug of choice.

So the other day, I was desperately looking throughout the building for any kind of cake; Little Debbie, Hostess, leftover coworker birthday, anything! At around 2 pm, I grabbed my purse and headed to Starbucks. I ordered a decaf latte to hide my true reason for being there. Cake. God bless starbucks! Their new dessert idea is petite one or two bite desserts. I ordered 2 and was happy that I didn't have to pull over into Kroger for a chocolate sheet cake. But at 4:30 the craving was not satisfied, so I actually ended up at Kroger after work and purchased strawberry cake mix and icing. I made cupcakes as soon as I got home, as I was making dinner of course. I only ate 2 that night. (Richard had 4...he likes my cravings right now.) I also brought some to work the next day, so I would not have to scour the building again. Yay cravings.

Another aspect of pregnancy I am noticing rise up is what people keep calling "nesting." Personally I think this is more of a hormonal "annoyance at everything", but "nesting" sounds more pleasant. I came home Wednesday afternoon, and I had 30 minutes to take Levi out and grab a bite to eat before heading back to work. But walking through the front door I noticed this black smut all over our teal door. Our "towndominium" is an end unit closest to the woods. I believe the smut is the trees spitting all over everything, not mold or something dangerous. I rolled my eyes at the fact that it had gotten so bad and walked in the door. Levi left me a "present"...inducing a slight gag as I gathered the stuff to cleaned it up. Then as if the vinegar water bottle illuminated in my hand, I jumped up and started all over the house, spraying in all the places that looked like stains. Then I grabbed another roll of paper towels and headed to the door. I scrubbed and scrubbed, still in my work clothes. I'm sure it was a sight. I spent 18 minutes of the 30 I had cleaning, and had pickle smelling hands for the rest of the night. But that was big. I accomplished something. I actually took the initiative to clean. Wow!

Pregnancy might be really good for me!
Christen

No comments:

Post a Comment